Sunday, May 20, 2012

Summer Fun

Where to begin.  Much has happened since my last meager post.  Most notably, summer feels as though it has really arrived.  As you can see from the photos, we have filled the horse trough swimming pool for the first time this year. The water was a little cold and the sun's rays waned a bit quicker than our swimmers had hoped, but it was warm - upper 80's I think.

As I watched the festivities, while sweating my arse off shovelling mulch, I was struck by one thing that I believe is a preview of life with girls.  I used to work at a summer camp and witnessed skinny young boys, who would blow away in a stiff breeze, swim in freezing cold water at dusk until their teeth chattered and lips turned blue.  In contrast, under full sun and upper 80's temperatures, Stella and Lucy exited the "pool" after a short time to do what I can only describe as sunbathe.  As I look to the future, I have visions of two teenage girls painting their toenails in the sun while dear old Dad does porpoise imitations in the now rusty horse trough.

Shortly after the swim day, Sara departed for one of her girl's trips, leaving me with the children for 4 days.  I had grand plans to be the most entertaining dad you could imagine.  About two hours after we dropped Sara at the airport, Lucy requested an early morning nap.  It was uncharacteristic, but I figured this was my lucky day.  Sara had only been gone a matter of hours, Stella was at school and Lucy was asking to take a nap - free time already.  Unfortunately, the nap request was related to the fever that was about to spike in Lucy.  Dad of the year plans evaporated into survival mode operation for the next two and a half days.

Thankfully, by Saturday afternoon Lucy had improved enough that we loaded up the car and ventured out to a small outdoor festival near our house and had dinner at the pizza shop - a highlight of which was Lucy wearing Stella's capri pants on her head.  In fairness, I may have instigated this after Stella removed her pants (they were underneath a dress - it was hot).  The night concluded with some wicked thunderstorms that spooked Lucy enough she requested a stay in Stella's room.  I had my reservations, but went with the flow.  They both drifted off to sleep with barely a word.

Sara returned several hours ago to cupcakes and a family eager to see her.

Other than getting the garden planted, that is about it.










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home