The summer vacation that wasn't
Earlier this week we returned from what might be the shortest vacation on record. Due to Lucy's current age, we backed off a repeat of last year's 10 day RV trip, although we plan to restart that tradition next year. This year's plans were going to be simpler and involved a three night trip to a campground about 2.5 hours from here. We were to leave on Sunday. Unfortunately, the previous week I came down with a terrible cold - most likely contracted from a nose full of water compliments of the public pool water slide - yum. At any rate, by Saturday the infection had spread to Lucy who was extremely congested and "moist." Due to the bad sleep that accompanied the cold, we were a little reluctant to head out on our trip, so we decided to delay departure a day to give Lucy some time to improve.
When dawn broke Monday morning we packed up and left despite my continued illness and Lucy's still running nose. 2.5 hours later we were at the rustic "1 bedroom" cabin we reserved. We quickly learned that the campground operator had a rather liberal interpretation of 1 bedroom. The cabin was about the size of 1 bedroom, and was separated into a "parts" by a large doorway. The was, of course, no door. Without a door we didn't really stand to gain much from the "bedroom," which we figured would allow Lucy to go to bed before the rest of us and not get woken up constantly by my coughing. Despite a growing list of unfortunate developments, we soldiered on. I decided to test the sleep potential by staying at the cabin and putting Lucy down for a nap while Sara and Stella went to the pool.
2 hours later with no nap, no swimming (too cold), and a round of uninspiring mini golf, we sat at the playground and I informed Sara that we were cutting our losses and heading home. I received no argument from anyone. While the girls went on a train ride, I went and repacked the car. 2.5 hours later we concluded our 7 hour mini golf vacation.
I find it interesting that the pictures from the trip could tell a completely different tale. I need to start taking more photos of real life - snot, dirty diapers and early mornings!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home